I do know so many have moved on to sharing all about Christmas by this time of yr, however I’m nonetheless over right here simply having fun with fall! I needed to squeeze in yet another fall associated DIY with this dried apple garland! (I’ve received some Christmas content material coming actual quickly). The beauty of this garland is it really works for each fall and Christmas decor!
I at the moment have it styled with my fall mantel. However I did clip some greenery so you may see the way it seems styled with that. As soon as I begin decking the halls for Christmas, I’m going to strive utilizing it with a few of my greenery. And see the way it seems with a dried orange garland. Dried apple garlands are good for fall, Thanksgiving and Christmas decor!
Learn how to Make a Dried Apple Garland:
- apples (any selection, however I discovered ones that have been a bit bigger labored finest. Cortland apples are usually a bit whiter inside)
- pineapple juice (lemon, lime, or any citrus juice will work too) (non-compulsory, see beneath)
- salt (non-compulsory, see beneath)
- baking trays
- parchment paper
- string, twine or floral wire
- large needle (in case you’re utilizing string or twine for the garland)
Watch the video to see the way to make these or observe the steps beneath:
- Begin by chopping apples into skinny slices.
- I used a combination of pineapple juice and salt to dip my apple slices in to attempt to hold them from browning as a lot. Any citrus juice will work. And I simply eyeballed the quantity, no particular measurements. (To be trustworthy, I didn’t discover a lot of a distinction between the apples that I dipped within the combination, and people I didn’t. I discovered that apples that have been sliced a bit thicker, and dried for rather less time, turned out the most effective. So it’s as much as you if you wish to do that resolution to assist hold the apples a bit whiter).
- I dipped the apple slices into the combination, then dabbed them a bit on a washcloth so that they weren’t dripping.
- Place the apple slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Proceed till the tray is full.
- Bake the apple slices at 225 levels. I baked mine for about 2 hours, flipping them over each half-hour.
- As soon as the apples are baked, allow them to cool on a cooling rack.
- As soon as cool, the apples are prepared to make use of for a garland.
- You need to use string, twine or floral wire to string your apples on. Should you’re utilizing string or twine, attempt to use skinny string. You’ll additionally want a big needle.
- Thread the apple slices onto the string.
- I favor to make use of floral wire to make the garland (I exploit it with my dried orange garlands too). You don’t want a needle as a result of the wire is sharp sufficient to undergo. And it’s additionally so much thinner, so it doesn’t depart as large of holes within the apple.
Only a observe on how the apples really feel and in the event that they go dangerous. As a result of I didn’t need my apples to be very brown, I didn’t dry them till they have been crispy. They have been nonetheless mushy once I determined they have been ok. I puzzled if they could go dangerous or entice fruit flies, however neither occurred. I left my dried apple slices sitting in a bowl in my eating room for nearly 2 months earlier than I turned them right into a garland. The apples appeared precisely the identical because the day I dried them they usually didn’t entice any fruit flies.
Discover extra fall inspiration here.