The DIY chest of drawers in our lavatory is completed! I had hoped to get each the storage cupboard and the second self-importance completed this weekend, however the storage cupboard took manner longer than I assumed it will. However it’s lastly executed!
Should you missed the primary two posts on this DIY chest of drawers, you could find these right here:
After I left off on the finish of Half 2 of this mission, the storage cupboard regarded like this…
The majority of the work was executed, however I nonetheless wanted to make and fix the highest, after which add the trim alongside the underside. After which the entire thing wanted to be completed with the Rubio Monocoat end.
Now that the DIY chest of drawers is completed, that is what it seems like…
I had initially deliberate to make use of my router to create a fairly edge profile across the prime, in addition to on the highest fringe of the underside trim. However due to the straightforward and squared design of the drawers, I made a decision to maintain the model of the highest and the underside trim easy and squared as properly.
To complete the highest, I lower a chunk of three/4-inch plywood to suit the highest. I made a mistake and lower it too small, so I needed to lower a strip and fix it with glue and 16-guage nails to get it to the proper dimension. Then I used my desk noticed to tear down some walnut lumber to three/4″ x 7/8″. Then I lower and connected these items to the aspect edges and the entrance edge utilizing 18-guage nails.
This image exhibits extra clearly how the aspect items have been connected.
After attaching these items to all three sides, I then lower some walnut veneer to cowl the sides. I connected these items with contact cement. I connected the 2 sides first, after which trimmed these items on the highest and entrance.
After which I connected the veneer on the entrance edge. You’ll discover that the wooden grain on the veneer on the edges is vertical, and the grain on the entrance is horizontal. That’s the closest you will get to creating a chunk of plywood seem like a stable piece of walnut lumber utilizing veneer.
With the aspect and entrance edges lined and trimmed, I used to be then in a position so as to add the massive piece of veneer to the highest and trim it to dimension.
I wrote about utilizing veneer with contact cement in additional element on this put up:
For the trim across the backside, I used 1″ x 4″ walnut lumber (precise dimension was 3/4″ x 4″), with the items mitered on the corners, and connected with 1.5-inch 18-gauge nails. I stuffed these holes with walnut wooden filler, and as soon as they have been sanded, they disappeared.
With all the pieces assembled, I gave the highest and the underside trim a fast sanding with 120-grit sandpaper, obtained all the pieces cleaned up with mineral spirits, after which as soon as it was fully dry, I completed it with Rubio Monocoat. I wrote in additional element about how one can use Rubio Monocoat on this put up:
In order that’s two down, and one to go. I simply want to complete the second self-importance, for which I nonetheless must make drawer containers and drawer fronts, after which I can examine off this big mission from the “to do” checklist for this lavatory.
Addicted 2 Adorning is the place I share my DIY and adorning journey as I transform and embellish the 1948 fixer higher that my husband, Matt, and I purchased in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do bodily work, so I do the vast majority of the work on the home on my own. You can learn more about me here.