As a lot of you understand, we’re knee-deep in remodels. In the event you’ve been following alongside, you’ve seen my new closet system, my kitchen remodel, and my upstairs bathroom remodel, simply to call a couple of. Actually, should you’re , here’s a compilation of all the things we did to our home throughout our first yr residing in it! The subsequent large problem we’re puzzling by way of is the downstairs studio toilet.
We haven’t completed it, by any means, however we’re excited to say that it’s coming proper alongside. At this time we’re thrilled to share our DIY quilted bathe curtain with you! This was a bit extra concerned than we’d initially anticipated, however the end result was completely jaw-dropping and had precisely the texture we have been going for.
Quilted Bathe Curtain
Extra of a curtain than a bathe curtain, I knew I needed this to be the massive, eye-catching assertion piece of the toilet. I imply, I used to be form of considering of this like a whimsical toilet artwork piece greater than a purposeful curtain to cover behind while you bathe. At first, I went to the material retailer to seek out the right print, however simply couldn’t discover something that felt precisely proper. That’s once I thought: what if we make our personal sample? Within the type of a quilt? That’s once I began getting excited. So we got here up with a enjoyable, large, blocky quilt sample and started working!
Easy methods to Make a DIY Quilted Bathe Curtain
To start with, this venture concerned greater than just some exact measurements. That’s the place Fiskars stitching provides got here into the image. We actually couldn’t have finished this with out them. They’ve some amazingly helpful stitching provides that make slicing out a lot of completely geometrical shapes a lot simpler. For this venture, we used their self-healing slicing mat, which is wonderful for slicing, but in addition for measuring cloth squares and triangles exactly! We additionally undoubtedly couldn’t have finished with out their Fiskars Rotary Cutter, Fiskars Scissors, or their Fiskars Gridded Slicing Ruler.
All that being mentioned, right here’s how one can make your very personal DIY quilted bathe curtain! It’s time-consuming, and requires endurance and precision, however should you’re keen to tackle the problem, the result’s effectively value it.
Calculating your quilt measurements
That is a very powerful a part of the method. After getting your measurements calculated, the remainder is clean and intuitive!
- First, measure the peak and width of the area you’d like your curtain to cowl.
- Subsequent, make your individual quilt design inside these dimensions. In the event you’re not snug designing your individual quilt sample, be at liberty to make use of ours as a reference! The area we crammed was 62” x 62”. The completed dimensions of every of the squares was presupposed to be 20 ⅝”, so we added a sq. inch onto that to account for the ½” seam allowance all the best way round. The triangles have been merely ¼ of the scale of the squares. Lastly, the stripes on prime and backside have been 4 ½” together with the seam allowance. (For these, we simply did a small ¼” seam allowance).
- So, on your comfort, right here’s the great record of quantities and measurements:
- 1 blue sq. (21 ⅝”)
- 8 blue triangles (¼ of a sq. every)
- 4 white squares (21 ⅝” every)
- 8 white triangles (¼ of a sq. every)
- 14 white strips (4 ½”x 14” every)
- 16 blue strips (4 ½”x 14” every)
Slicing out your quilt items
- Step one in slicing out your items is to get out your Fiskars stitching instruments. You’ll need your rotary cutting set, alongside together with your Fiskars scissors. I can’t emphasize sufficient how amazingly useful these instruments are!
- As soon as you narrow out one sq., you need to use it as a template for the opposite items of cloth. That can assist pace up the method a bit.
Piecing your quilt collectively
Now you’re prepared to stitch the items collectively! The perfect tip I may give is to attempt to sew in straight traces. This makes stitching the triangle items, particularly, a lot much less of a headache. I’ll clarify what I imply by that in additional element as we go!
- Begin with the middle cross of the sample the place the triangles make a sq.. Sew them right into a sq., lining up the 2 triangles on every of the perimeters collectively, then stitching the 2 units of two collectively.
- Then, merely sew the remainder of the squares collectively, working from one facet to the opposite in rows or columns.
- As soon as the middle portion is all sewn collectively, sew the blue and white stripes collectively. You must have 15 stripes on prime, and one other 15 on the underside. Begin with blue on the ends and alternate till you’ve got the correct amount.
- Sew one striped part onto the highest, and one onto the underside.
The entrance of your quilted bathe curtain is finished!
Attaching the again panel
Now that you’ve got your entrance piece completed, you’re prepared to connect the again panel.
- For the again panel, merely line up the back and front panels, proper sides collectively, and stitch with a ½” seam allowance. Depart a small opening that’s simply sufficiently big to tug all the material by way of and switch it proper facet out.
- When you’re finished stitching across the edges, flip the material items proper facet out. Flip the open edges of the outlet beneath and press your entire factor across the edges to ensure it’s good and flat. Take further care to press the open portion to a ½” seam allowance.
- Then, sew very near the sting of the opening to shut it up.
- Final, topstitch across the perimeter 1/2″ in from the sting.
Bathe Curtain Attachment
Now, it’s fairly customary to see bathe curtain rings holding a bathe curtain up, however we needed to shake issues up a bit. We determined so as to add a bit of crowning glory of ties, moderately than rings, as a result of it felt a bit extra elegant and clever. I imply, individuals wish to really feel impressed even within the toilet, amirite? The ties are fairly easy. Right here’s how one can make them:
- First, minimize ten items of white ribbon which can be 5 – 6 inches lengthy and a pair of inches huge.
- Now you’re going to pin the ties alongside the highest in pairs, spacing them evenly from finish to finish.
- Tack down every set of ribbon with a straight sew.
Now you’re prepared to connect your freshly completed quilted bathe curtain to the rod!
Bathe Curtain Rod
Okay, let’s speak about this bathe curtain rod. Your generic bathe curtain rigidity rod is purposeful and cheap, and also you’re completely welcome to make use of one. However we needed one thing that felt rather less like your customary Residence Depot bathe arrange, you understand? For ours, we used a wood dowel (identical width as a regular bathe curtain rod) and a few minimal curtain rod brackets to connect it to the wall. The uncooked wooden had a extremely enjoyable impact with that blue and white sample!
After the bathe curtain rod is hooked up, simply tie the completed, quilted bathe curtain to the rod and also you’re finished!
Styling Your Curtain
That is such a enjoyable, assertion piece that does a lot to make a rest room really feel cozy and alluring. In the event you’re not in want of a bathe curtain, the beauty of this assertion curtain is that it may be used as a daily curtain, too! Simply modify the size and dimensions accordingly and hold it in entrance of any wall or window.
My favourite factor about this venture is that we had whole artistic management over most all points of it. Since we resorted to stitching, we acquired to decide on the sample, moderately than settling for an already manufactured one. And because of all of the wonderful Fiskars stitching instruments we had, it was really easy to measure, minimize, and piece all the things collectively in a method that was crisp, exact, and superbly crafted!
We beloved attending to work on this venture and would like to see your variations on our DIY quilted bathe curtain!
In the event you beloved this tutorial on how one can make a DIY quilted bathe curtain, you’ll most likely love these different initiatives: My Bathroom Remodel Reveal, Our Kitchen Remodel Update, Our New Closet System, Lars DIY Wainscoting, How to Paint a Folk Art Cabinet, and Everything We’ve Done to Our House in One Year.