The best way to make the DIY in-built bookshelves that fully reworked our area.
This room has been the slowest to come back collectively and in consequence is now in all probability my favourite area in our complete home. An enormous a part of why I adore it a lot although, has to the bookcase / built-in. The heat that has been added, between the hardwood flooring and the bookcase, is evening and day from the place it began.
Apart from trying cute although, there was quite a lot of performance that was wanted for this piece too. For instance, we would have liked loads of room for data, books, and small ornamental gadgets (baskets too for organizing). After which additionally, we needed some closed storage for the issues that we didn’t need on show.
Click on via for the complete finances breakdown of how a lot this undertaking actually value us, methods to make your individual, and a few errors we made alongside the way in which…
The best way to make a in-built bookshelf
First, I needed to say that this tutorial is a bit more imprecise than my typical DIYs and that’s as a result of there are quite a lot of shifting elements to this undertaking. And so many various methods of working with wooden.
So! This undertaking isn’t as minimize and dry, instructions clever. And likewise varies relying on how massive or small your bookcase / built-in is.
I’ll share as many particulars as I can consider right here and if I left something out or you’ve gotten any extra particular questions, depart a remark and I’ll make sure you reply. That mentioned, right here we go…
Jeff took the lead on this undertaking and I used to be an additional set of palms the place I could possibly be with staining, meeting, and so on.
It’s made from white oak ply (sheets of plywood with a white oak veneer on high and backside). It was approach more economical to go this route than strong white oak.
I’ve a finances breakdown on the finish of this put up in the event you’re interested by value.
Determine the essential measurements for the construct. Depth, size, and top.
After which you’ll be able to draw out your design on paper OR use one thing like Shapr3D to mannequin it. Jeff used Shapr3D. I haven’t realized methods to use it but, so I left that to him. He’s good at that stuff.
After that, we used a website known as Cut List optimizer to plan out the cuts we would have liked. This helped lots to determine what number of sheets of plywood to order.
*One factor that we didn’t take into consideration, that it’s best to if you’re on this part, is the grain route. If you would like the grain going all the identical approach, you’ll should be extra cautious with the way in which these cuts are laid out.
Making your cuts
Make your whole cuts with a round noticed and straight edge (or you should utilize a observe noticed or desk noticed).
We truly used a mixture of all three of those for varied causes. However in the event you don’t have all of those instruments, only one can get the job carried out.
Additionally, renting instruments is a good choice, if wanted. I’ll discuss that on the finish.
Subsequent up is edge banding. We used an iron-on edge banding, which truthfully, I didn’t love.
BUT I believe a technique we might have made it higher was to be strategic about the place we took the sting banding cuts from.
There have been some areas that had been extra constant grain clever than others. And I didn’t notice it till we had been too far in to show again.
SO! I might suggest actually listening to these particulars earlier than reducing the sting banding.
For iron on edge banding, you simply minimize the sting banding down, connect it with the warmth of an iron, press it down with a tough flat floor, and trim off the surplus with a special trimming tool.
*It can save you among the edge banding for after the meeting stage if there are edges that some collectively to type a miter minimize on the corners.
Now, it’s prepared to start out assembling. I might suggest having a second particular person round to assist with this, in the event you’re constructing one thing on the bigger facet.
The fundamentals for meeting are as follows… We used pocket holes for any cabinets that had backs on them after which simply screwed up from the underside anyplace pocket holes wouldn’t work.
Utilizing a Kreg jig for the pocket holes makes issues lots simpler.
There are quite a lot of triangle / carpenter squares and ranges concerned on this course of. And loads of tweaking. Reference your drawing or Shapr3D mannequin typically via the meeting course of.
Including ft + toe kick
We added adjustable feet to the underside of the bookshelf and the cupboard space.
After which when it was all put in, we simply lined it with a protracted white oak toe kick, which made out of the scrap items of white oak ply.
*This was additionally the stage the place we introduced all the things into the room to verify it will match correctly within the area. Then we took it again out to sand and stain…
Sanding + staining all the things
Last item to notice at the beginning was put in within the room, we sanded all the things (120 grit) after which added a stain that made the white oak a lot hotter. *You could wish to stain your items earlier within the course of (earlier than last meeting, if you are able to do a fast dry match first). I’ll clarify extra within the ‘errors we made part’.
- Rubio Monocoat is what we used (the colour we used is Pure) and in addition used the accelerator (they arrive collectively as a set and I’ve the one we used linked) to chop down on drying time.
Putting in the bookshelves
The open shelving was constructed on the identical time however individually (not related) from the cupboard with the doorways. Identical supplies, identical all the things, simply not related till they had been within the room.
This made it simpler to put in, because it was so massive. After which the 2 items had been connected to one another at set up, within the room.
As soon as all the things ins within the room and in place (don’t neglect to make any changes to the adjustable ft earlier than including the wooden toe kick), connect the 2 items to one another.
After which, if desired, additionally connect it to the wall, for additional safety.
As a final completion, add the toe kick. And that’s just about it. Lmk when you have any questions.
What errors did you make alongside the way in which?
There have been a handful…or possibly greater than a handful. Lol.
- However one of many largest errors I made was not having the ability to visualize how the peak of the taller part would look together with the window. The unique design had a taller cupboard and Jeff made all of the cuts based mostly on that design. As soon as we obtained it in to the area and had been prepared to attach the 2 items although, I spotted my mistake. The cupboard appeared too excessive and was throwing all the things off imo. SO! We began over on the cupboard. And that value us. Price it ultimately although.
- Actually take note of the route of grain if you’re planning out your wooden cuts. This was one thing we missed in just a few situations and it’s not the tip of the world, however it will have been even higher if the grain route matched on each single piece for the open bookshelf space.
- For this specific undertaking, I might suggest staining all of the wooden earlier than meeting, in the event you can. We didn’t do that and type of regretted it. It was NOT enjoyable to attempt to stain this piece as soon as it was all constructed. And even thought of taking it an element once more for staining as soon as we obtained began, however we simply went with it ultimately. It’s doable to stain when the piece is already constructed, but it surely’s much more annoying. I promise.
- In case you’re feeling not sure a few specific wooden minimize, and you’ve got extra wooden, it’s finest to chop them just a little outsized. In an effort to nonetheless minimize them down if obligatory. In any other case, you’ll must scrap the piece all collectively and that may get pricey. And that was a mistake we made, with some cuts needing to be recut bc they had been just a bit to small.
The overall value of this built-in bookcase was $985. Right here’s the way it all breaks down…
- White oak veneer plywood sheets $200 every x 4 = $800
- white oak edge banding $70
- Stain and accelerator $60
- adjustable bookcase ft $30
- screws and misc $25
I didn’t embrace the price of instruments used bc these are instruments that we have already got and use on many initiatives.
Clearly, in the event you wanted to additionally buy the instruments wanted for this undertaking, it will be considerably extra. BUT you may as well hire instruments from Home Depot and Lowes, which might be an enormous financial savings, in the event you don’t have already got what you want.
I linked to the the software rental pages of every retailer above to make it simpler to seek out what you want.
Can I recreate this undertaking for a fraction of the fee?
Sure! To place it merely, simply use a special type of wooden.
You’ll find plywood as little as $22 a sheet (for a 4×8), which might considerably decrease the fee.
For instance, if we’d have solely modified that one materials, the entire finances breakdown would have been lower than $300 whole.
And we might make some further tweaks to the opposite provides (edge banding and stain/ accelerator) that will deliver the fee down much more. So, it may be carried out!